We did it!
After years of dramatic funding cuts, 2018 was the year that we spoke up as a city to fight for Auckland Art Gallery's future. After months of showing Auckland Council just how loved the Gallery is by locals and visitors – change is happening.
The much-needed support for the cultural heart of our city was heard loud and clear – and on 28 June 2018, a funding increase of $2m a year for the next 10 years was confirmed for Auckland Art Gallery.
Thank you to the thousands of Aucklanders and out-of-town lovers of the city who got behind the cause in big and small ways – from sharing their 'pART of me' selfies and signing our supporter scroll to attending our pARTies and reaching out to local councillors to rally their support.
And there's still more good change to come – scroll down to see what we're working on in the next while to ensure the arts and culture in Auckland thrives for years to come.
Read all about it.
- "Aucklanders urged to be pART of saving city gallery" – NZ Herald
- "Petition launched calling for Auckland Council to increase art gallery funding" – Stuff
- "Auckland Art Gallery – an underfunded treasure" – NZ Herald
- "Creative New Zealand welcomes support for Auckland Art Gallery" – CreativeNZ
- "A city is not a city if..." – Eye Contact
- "Generating a public hum" – The Big Idea
- "Radio Live Interview with Sue Gardiner" – Radio Live
- "Art lovers unite to campaign for the Auckland Art Gallery" – Home Magazine
- "Phil Goff proposes $20m funding boost to Auckland Art Gallery" – NZ Herald
- "The Auckland Art Gallery's in suspense" – RNZ
- "Auckland Art Gallery is vital to the city's identity. It desperately needs more funding" – The Spinoff
- "Auckland Art Gallery gathering goes ahead despite Mayor Phil Goff's proposed funding boost" – NZ Herald
- "Save Our Gallery: Art and People Power" – Tearaway
- "Auckland Council approves 10-year budget" – NZ Herald